7th Grade Science News
Previously this year, 7th grade science classes investigated environmental issues that are occurring around the globe. Each student had the opportunity to research an environmental issue that was of interest to them. Topics ranged from global warming, the Dead Zone in the Gulf of Mexico, the loss of habitats for pandas, tigers and sea turtles to endangered sharks and wood turtles. Once students researched information about their topic they had to convince others to also care about the topic in a one-minute “elevator” speech. Students voted on the most convincing speech and issue that they would be willing to support. The groups then collectively decided on an action plan that would inform others or in some way help stop the problem from happening. These projects have been on-going. Here are some of the results:
- Students designed and sold “Save the Leatherback” t-shirts so that they could adopt sea turtle nests. A total of $144 was raised which was enough to adopt three sea turtle nests on the coast of Florida as well as donate the remaining funds to the Pennies for Pandas campaign.
- Students created Pennies for Pandas posters and placed fundraising boxes in each of the SLMS science rooms. A total of $65.00 was raised to help save the pandas from extinction.
- Students recognized the need for recycling at SLMS as a way to stop the destruction of trees and reduce the effects of global warming. A petition was circulated and signed by many SLMS students which raised the awareness of the Storm Lake Administrative Team. This led to a new recycling initiative at all Storm Lake Community Schools. 7th grade students currently collect and bag recyclable paper on a weekly basis at SLMS.
- Students recognized the need to preserve part of Iowa’s legacy by helping support the Prairie Heritage Center in Peterson, Iowa and their bison herd. They collected Lay’s and Mar’s product wrappers to support the center which will receive reimbursement for these wrappers.
- Students created various websites and Prezis to help raise awareness of issues of importance. You may follow the links below to visit these websites:
Global Warming: http://prezi.com/u2pvakdo5urg/global-warming/
Dead Zone in the Gulf of Mexico: https://sites.google.com/a/student.slcsd.org/dead-zone-in-the-gulf-of-mexico/home
Save the Leatherbacks: http://www.savetheleatherback.webs.com
Save the Panda: http://savetheendangeredpandas.webs.com/
Save the Panda 2: http://ninjapandasupport.webs.com/
Global Warming: http://turnoffthelightglobalwarming.webs.com/